Sunday, July 7, 2013

Masking & Color

So a week of working with the other techniques on a commission has still been a struggle.

One of the commissions I've been working on has been slowly progressing. I feel very much like a baboon with a stick as I do this, but at least the color is coming along. Photo reference has been insanely important. I never realized how much I didn't understand color and light until I started doing digital. Or maybe I just never had to have such a precise knowledge? Hard to tell.

Here are some process images from it:






After a bit more research I have watched a tutorial from Fantasy Art essentials by artist Svetlin Velinov (An interview with him in ImagineFX here). The interview doesn't show much for composition. The piece I watched was much more interesting, though still not my kind of artwork. But what was important was how he painted to me. I watched how he went from sketch to color to refinement but most of my focus was on the sketch to color method. He worked strongly in greyscale to start out (well, monochrome) and then did gradient color with what appeared to be masking.

So back I went to Ctl+Paint to look over their masking tutorials. So it seems this next week shall be a great deal of understanding masking and practicing these methods.

Other techniques I'm looking for good tutorials on is color scheme sketches. I found a link a while ago of a digital artist who did a series of larger thumbnails copying the basic color compositions of various famous landcape artists and landscape photographers to help himself understand color. He'd do speed sketches of their work, no detail, to get a better understanding of how color goes together. I'm struggling to find this again but I'm thinking I shall try to do one of these a day just as an exercise.

I've also seen monochrome sketches too, so maybe that would be good to start out with. Any helpful links and suggestions of exercises would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment