Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Couple More Dragons



Just a couple more dragons to pop up.

I've given up on tinted background work for now. I've actually started painting with more direct color.

The biggest issue I am having is keeping the shadows from looking too mottled... as if I've used the burn/dodge tool overmuch (which I haven't used at all!). Any suggestions? I've been working with multiplying the contrasting light color... but now am working more in multiplying a color that is just off the compliment of the color I'm using to help simulate light without getting too grey (which the compliment seems to do).

Still a bit... awkward. Maybe I need more highlights/glazes?




This dude was doodled when I was annoyed at work... but it lead to his less monochromatic sibling:








Still working away at the other commission. Bit by bit. Will get some more color studies in and then do a series of quick sketches to show how my sketching/drawing is going.

I hope to try another technique next week for composition: working on black/dark and building up highlights.
It's actually come into play at my internship as I have to work with luminous colors on dark. Or well, I'm choosing to because it'll look better.

Now to hunt up some tutorials/examples and artists using this.

No comments:

Post a Comment